No one would ever think that a simple horse trading between a group of individuals and various governments can give birth to Milam County. Between 1825 to 1846, the Mexican Government and Provisional Government of Texas, Robert Leftwich, Sterling Robertson, Samuel May Williams, and Steven F. Austin traded horses. The simple trade between them led to the establishment of “Municipality of Viesca”. The municipality then later on evolved to the Municipality of Milam and is currently known as Milam County. The county was named after Benjamin Rush Milam. In totality, the county comprises one sixth of the land area of Texas. Currently some of the original lands in the county were created into different counties such as Bosque, Bell, Hood, Jones, Hamilton, Robertson, Shackelford, Burleson, Coryell, Falls, Erath, Williamson, Somervell, McLennan, and Stephens. Other counties also received land from Milam County and these are Young, Brazos, Brown, Throckmorton, Pinto, Parker, Stonewall, Limestone, Palo, Mills, Callahan, Burnet, Eastland, Comanche, Johnson, Hill, Lee, Lampasas, and Haskell.